Southwestern Inspired Meal Prep
This week's meals all (unintentionally) had a similar feel. So if you're not into your typical "southwestern" style meals.... this may not be for you. Otherwise, read on! I hope you can find some inspiration to spice up your own meal prep :)
We purchased these reusable containers from Canadian Tire and I am loving them! Dishwasher safe is a MUST for me - and they passed that test.
This took me about 3 hours. Nothing was prepped ahead, it was all done in one batch.
Breakfast Taco Salad
These were DELICIOUS! And a great way to get your veggies in first thing.
1 lb ground turkey
10 large eggs
1 large package of mixed greens (you will have leftover)
1 small package of grape tomatoes
about 1/4 of a red onion
Shredded cheese (I used 75 g of a pre-shredded TexMex mix)
seasoning of your choice (I used garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, oregano, S&P)
1. Heat up a large pan on the oven, throw your ground turkey in and begin to brown. While turkey is browning you can start to cook your eggs. I cracked two at a time into my ceramic microwave egg cooker, whisked them with some pepper and garlic powder and just nuked them. They took about 1:20 for each batch.
2. Once turkey is browned, add your seasonings to it plus about a 1/4 cup of water. This is where I sprinkled in all the seasonings listed (I just eyeballed them) Let it all simmer for a couple more minutes. Taste and adjust as needed.
3. While your turkey and eggs cool off a little, you can begin filling your containers with greens. I placed about 1.5 cups of greens in each. Then halve 5-6 grape tomatoes for each container. Add them in as well. Lastly, dice up your red onion and sprinkle desired amount in each container. If you are added cilantro, roughly tear or chop some and add it in now.
4. Begin placing the batches of eggs in each container (so each container gets two scrambled eggs). Then weigh out the turkey and split evenly between the five containers. (you can also just use a small measuring cup and evenly divide the turkey between containers if you don't have a scale)
5. Once the eggs and turkey are in, I weighed out my cheese for each. I used 15 g in each container.
6. Finally, add your salsa. I didn't really measure this, but I love salsa so I'm guessing there's around 1/3 cup in each container.
7. Store in the fridge until ready to eat.
I found it was easiest to scoop out the eggs and turkey on to the plate, heat them in the microwave and then pile everything on top. It can be eaten cold (but it's much better warmed!). You can also scoop out the eggs and meat into a bowl, warm up and then put back into the container (there just isn't tons of room for mixing it all together.)
Bruschetta Chicken with Asparagus and Sweet Potato
This was a fairly "simple" meal, and although it wasn't necessarily exciting, the chicken was packed with flavour and so good!
This recipe came from @themealprepmanual on Instagram. I know not everyone is on there so I did put his recipe below - all credits for this are to Josh Cortis at https://www.instagram.com/p/B04jG-WAH3k/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
For the Chicken
2 lbs Chicken Breast
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tsp Coriander
Salt and Pepper For the Tomatoes
5-6 Roma Tomatoes (2 cups worth)
3 Tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
10-12 Fresh Basil Leaves
1 Heaping tsp of Minced Garlic
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sweet Potatoes and Asparagus
1 lb Asparagus
2 medium Sweet Potatoes (350g)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder for asparagus
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. In a ziploc bag, add chicken, 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp garlic, 1 Tbsp onion powder, 1 Tbsp oregano, 1 tsp coriander, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow the chicken to marinate while you chop your vegetables.
3. Peel and cut your sweet potatoes into a medium dice. Cut the ends off of your asparagus. Add to a sheet pan, drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper and season the asparagus with 1 tsp of garlic powder.
4. Bake for 10 minutes and then flip the potatoes. If the asparagus have finished, remove them from the pan. If not, continue cooking for an additional 5-10 minutes until both the asparagus and sweet potatoes are soft.
5. Wash and cut your tomatoes into a small dice with seeds removed. Roughly chop the basil. Add to a bowl with parmesan cheese, garlic, and balsamic vinegar to a bowl and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Start a grill pan over medium high heat. Cook the chicken 4-5 minutes each side or to 165F.
7. Divide all ingredients evenly 4 ways (THAT MEANS IT MAKES 4 SERVINGS) and add to each of your containers. 8. Nutrition info for each serving: 494 CALS. 31g C | 52g P | 18g F
**NOTE I used about the same amount of ingredietns but divided everything between 5 containers**
one package flatbread
your fav BBQ sauce
3 chicken breast
grated light mozzarella
6 tbsp Greek yogurt
tsp or so of your fav ranch powder (I used Hidden Valley)
fresh cilantro or parsley for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Place chicken breasts on pan and bake for about 35 minutes(from frozen, probably around 20 if thawed). Until they are cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, mix together about 6 Tbsp Greek yogurt with some dry ranch powder. Taste and adjust as needed. Store in a small container in the fridge.
3. Begin thinly slicing red onion and mushrooms. I didn't measure this out, just eyeballed the amount I wanted on the flatbread. Slice enough for 5 servings.
4.Grate 30 g of light mozzarella and place in a container. Repeat this for the other 4 containers.
5. Once chicken is cool, dice up and divide evenly between all the containers (I ended up with about 70g of chicken in each)
6. Take a few sprigs of cilantro (or parsley) for each container. I wrapped the bottom of my cilantro stems in wet paper towel. This worked to keep them fresh and crisp all week.
7.Store containers in fridge until ready to use.
1. Preheat oven to 400F placing pizza stone in oven to heat up with it. If you are not using a stone, you can use just a flat baking sheet (no need to heat it up). Take out about 1 tbsp of your ranch dressing, placing in a small bowl. Add a small amount of water and mix it to make it a little smoother and runnier.
2. Once oven is preheated, take out the stone and lay your flatbread on it. Spread about 1 tbsp of BBQ sauce over your flatbread. Lay out your diced chicken on top of the sauce. Spread your mushrooms and onion over the chicken. Finally, sprinkle your mozza over top of everything. Make sure you push toppings out to the edges.
3. Place stone with flatbread in oven for about 10 minutes, until the edges are browned and crispy and cheese is melted.
4. Taking stone out, slice your flatbread up. Plate it and sprinkle cilantro over top.
5. You can use a spoon to glob ranch across your flatbread pieces (that's usually what I do), or if you have a small piping bag, it works well to drizzle it over them all nicely.